Sunday, March 8, 2015

Wanting to Give a Gift Well

I'm doing a favor for a friend. He is reenacting a Fulton Sheen presentation for a charity fundraiser. His costume is amazing... because it's real. Our archbishop lent him his own cassock, pellegrina and fascia to use for the show. It fits remarkably well save that it is far too long.

My friend asked me if I could put in a temporary hem. I was happy to do so, but am torn about how good a job to do. I put in a quick tailor's stitch without pressing it because I don't want the archbishop to be stuck with a crease at the bottom of his cassock the next time he has to wear it. At the same time, I want the garment to hang well while my friend is wearing it in his performance.

It is tempting to worry over such a conundrum. Thankfully, my guardian angel reminded me of how grateful my friend is for the help in the first place and of how fond I am of both my friend and my archbishop. They are both good men and I was mindful to stitch love for both of them into the garment with my thread. With that, I can trust in the generosity of both of their spirits and know that the work I have done, whatever the outcome, was done with the intent to please both of them.

ON A SIDE NOTE, how cool is it that I got to work on a real archbishop's cassock? Who gets to do that? I love living in a small remote diocese. It's cool enough that I know my archbishop and what a kind and personable man he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment