Friday, March 6, 2015

Joy is Contagious

By no means was I having a bad day today. I would easily call it fruitful and productive.Even if I brought some of my own baggage into it, it was a good day. Nothing to complain about.

My just happened to end very, very well. Tonight is Game Night in the upper school building. About once a year, the seniors will organize a campus game night social a fund raiser for prom. The kids were about an hour into their play when I wandered in to get my coat and leave. My husband, who is rather fond of my students, came in with me when he came to pick me up from work. It was delightful chaos. Everyone was having fun. One classroom had been cleared out for barefoot soccer and knee-hockey. The tables of another room had been rigged with a ping pong net. Video games were squirrelled away in a back classroom that was reasonably full. Board games were not nearly as popular, but the group playing "Say Anything" were having fun together. Best of all, Nerf gun wars were dominating the hallways and the junior high was holding its own pretty well against two of the teacher chaperons.

Seeing everyone play makes me so happy. They were relaxed and joyful while taking their games so very seriously. Their whole selves were devoted to what they were doing. They were truly alive... well, I have some doubts about the video game room but everyone else was.

They kids (and chaperones) played the way we are supposed to live. We are supposed to live joyfully, giving it everything we are. Live wholely in the moment, even when you plan for the future, for our end will come like a thief in the night. What a shame if the thief found nothing there to steal.

No comments:

Post a Comment