Monday, February 23, 2015

Ready for Launch

A blog is, unfortunately, an attractive medium for an undisciplined writer.

I will admit from the beginning that I am undisciplined, but that is not why I am here. This medium, as opposed to any other, gives me no excuses for not starting immediately and not keeping at it. Behold, instant gratification transformed into instant accountability. My first goal here is very personal. I am trying to stop complaining for lent, but it is not enough for me to refrain from complaining.

Perhaps my husband would settle for an end to the complaining or venting or whining or whatever one wanted to call what I do on the drive home, but stopping alone is not enough. For one reason, the void must be filled. If I seek to stop any habit, with what behavior do I replace those actions I want to cease? This leads me to honestly face what I ought to be doing with my time when I have the precious attention of others who are generous enough to listen to me when I have something to say. Any friend, especially a friend who loves me enough to marry me, deserves better than to have his time and attention spent fruitlessly by another. The people I talk to (or write for) deserve much better than to have irreplaceable moments of their lives wasted on hearing me complain about anything. It is far better that I devote my energies to things that are worth their time and attention. What is worthwhile to spend time listening to, reading, writing, and talking about? That is what I should fill my thoughts and energy with, rather than complaints.

It is not enough to abandon vice without seeking the corresponding virtue. The likelihood of succeeding in conquering the vice diminishes without building a foundation of virtue. In this case, there are numerous facets to charity for me to examine in relation to vanquishing my chosen bad habit. If I truly love the people I speak to, I should give them something worth hearing. Those I speak of, whether they are people, institutions, or situations, also deserve to be spoken of with charity instead of vexation. I also am a better and happier person when I rise above the emotional sinkhole of complaining. Lastly, if God has seen fit to make me in His image, I ought not make Him look bad.

If you have found your way to this little blog, the path to it may have already led you through some mentions of the superversive movement advanced by a handful of speculative fiction writers and other creative thinkers who appreciate truth, beauty and goodness. This site will begin as my promise to close my day with something good to say.

Pray for me, I'm going to need it. I will return the favor.


4 comments:

  1. God bless you now throughout Lent and always.
    Welcome to the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A breath of fresh air I needed today!

    ReplyDelete